Saturday, July 17, 2010

Stir Fry to use some of my veggies


There is no better way to use up veggies than stir fry and not too many dinners that are easier either. I cheated on the chicken, as I often do. Instead of stir frying it first, I seaoned it with a southwestern seasoning and olive oil and baked it in the oven while I worked on getting the veggies ready. I used boneless skinless breasts and they take the longest to stir fry, so was quicker to bake them. I often buy bulk breasts and bake them off and then slice and freeze to toss in stir frys making the cheat even easier.
I sliced up red peppers. I had carrot coins in the fridge. The pea pods were young and fresh from the box, just de-stringed and cut them. I was going to get broccoli at the store but could not resist the perfect broccoli rabe so ended up with that in there. First thing into the hot pan was couple crushed cloves of garlic and ginger root. Then the veggies longest cooking first. Last thing into the sizzling pan were the beet tops from the box. I love beet greens so much.
Chicken came out of the oven and cut up and in with the veggies. I made a quick and little disappointing sauce to finish it. Not sure what was missing or too much too little - this is what I typically do with chicken stir fry. Veggie broth, corn starch, soy sauce, sherry, rice vinegar, and honey. Not enough zing. Still the dinner was hot and good and really easy after a long first day back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment