Sunday, July 4, 2010

Creamy garlic pasta with shrimp and vegetables

PRETTY YUMMY! As I look at this picture though I know I need to either pick up a cheap digital camera which will beat my phone or borrow hubby's..... The quality of the food and recipes beats the pics........

I will tell you what I actually did to make this dinner first but then will post the actual recipe its based on. I had some shrimp thawed to make shrimp salad to take to a run earlier in the week, but ran out of time and didn't make it - so I had these shrimp and also whole wheat macaroni cooked up - so used them in the recipes. I found beautiful asparagus at the grocery store and had an organic red pepper in the fridge. I shelled the peas from the box - I like to do peas in the pod but they were a little too big and tough. The fresh peas were awesome - I won't eat peas usually but they taste good fresh. I used 1 head of the fresh garlic from teh box too. I didn't have plain yogurt in house for the recipe but I had some sour cream and fat free half and half, plus added fresh grated parmesan and lemon to make the sauce - quanities unknown on those - it was whatever was left in fridge - so that is why I will give a real recipe. It turned out to be a good dinner and good use of the fresh veggies for sure. The peas were awesome. The fresh garlic is a bit difficult to work with - very sticky and won't go thru the press - I had to slice it as thin as I could. It is mild compared to the usual fresh stuff from the store. I didn't have pine nuts but did have parsely. I sauteed the garlic and added the rest of components for sauce to one pan. Everything else went into the boiling pot together in the order I figured they should to get done right. Started with asparagus bottoms, then red pepppers, peas, cooked pasta, shrimp, asparagus tops last. Sprinkled with fresh parsely at the end.

Here is the real recipe though. We paired it with Funf 5 Riesling which was great.

Creamy garlic pasta with shrimp and vegetables

6 oz whole wheat spaghetti
12 oz peeled and deveined raw shrimp cut into 1 inch pieces
1 bunch asparagus trimmed and thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 t kosher salt
1 1/2 c nonfat plain yogurt
1/4 cup flat leaf parsely
3 T lemon juice
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1/2 t fresh ground pepper
1/4 c pine nuts

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add spaghetti and cook 2 minutes less than package directions. Add shrimp, asparagus, bell pepper, and peas and cook until pasta is tender and shrimp are done, about 2-4 minutes. Drain well.

Mash garlic and salt in large bowl to form paste. Whisk in yogurt , parsely, lemon juice, oil, and pepper. Add to the pasta mixture and toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment