Sunday, July 18, 2010

kohl - slaw YUMMY

I followed the recipe in the newsleters that full harvest farm provides with the box and it was sooooooooo good.


Here it is.....



Kohl-slaw
In a large bowl, whisk together just to combine:
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. sugar (or 1 Tbsp. honey)
¼ tsp. celery seed
salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
Add: 2 kohlrabis, peeled and grated
2 cups cabbage, sliced thinly
1 small onion, diced small
1 apple, cored and diced small
2 carrots, scrubbed/peeled and grated
Toss all ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to develop the flavor.
This recipe is also quite good with ¼ cup chopped cilantro mixed in.



I did use the cilantro, which I think transforms it from good to great, but unfortunately made it inedible to the hubby. Ive got a lot of coleslaw to eat.......
I think its great they add the tips and recipes in with the weekly box of produce. I would have never come up with this on my own. I think Kohlrabi will be a new favorite for me, which is another good reason to buy into CSA - it makes you try things you might not otherwise.

I also sauteed up one of the large sqash with olive oil and garlic and it was pretty good. I'm thinking of stuffing the other one. Just haven't figured out what exactly I want to stuff into it!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your hubby sounded good till you added the cilantro!
    How much does your box cost? Seems like there is a lot of stuff that is really good in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its $400 (or $430??) for the whole season. I don't exactly remember. 20 boxes of produce. Well worth it for me cuz I am unable to grow my own and spent a fortune on produce at the grocery store. So far nothing going to waste....

    ReplyDelete