Friday, August 6, 2010

I'll have chocolate with my beets please

I have had beet cake before and there are plenty of beet cake recipes on the net. I picked one I figured had to be good, it had lots of butter and high quality chocolate. There are healthier recipes out there. They were fantastic the first couple days.



I'm not quite sure why this picture is so tiny, but that is the way it is.

Here is the recipe.

Chocolate beet cake

1 c butter; softened and divided

1 1/2 c packed brown sugar

3 eggs at room temp

2-3 oz dark chocolate

2 c medium beets pureed (about 5)

1 t vanilla

2 c all purpose flour

2 t baking soda

1/4 t salt

1/2 t cinamon

1/4 t nutmeg

To make beet puree: Trim, stem, and quarter the beets. Bring water to a boil and simmer beets for about 50 minutes until soft. Plunge beets into cool water and slip skins off. Puree in blender until smooth. Cool before use in cake.

In a mixing bowl cream 3/4 c butter and the sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg. Melt remaining butter and chocolate in microwave at about 20 sec intervals, stirring inbetween until smooth. Cool slightly. Add chocoate mixture, beets, and vanilla to creamed mixture .

In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinamon, and nutmeg. Add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured springform pan. Bake at 375 for 60 - 70 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Remove when cooled. Dust with powdered sugar. ENJOY!!

I changed a few things. I used a 10x13 pan. I sprayed with bakers joy - if I didn't have that I would never dust a chocolate cake pan with flour - I would use cocoa or even carob. I baked it for 50 ish minutes because of the different pan. I didn't dust with sugar - I usually eat my cake unfrosted. I did have chocolate ganache leftover, so did put than on one of them. I had cream cheese frosting also and put that on a couple for hubby - that junk is way too sweet for me though. My cake was rather crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. I loved it. Can't really taste the beets but could sorta tell on one of the middle pieces - may not have quite been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment